Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Well we are back in the swing of cold weather which means what?
 It means it's soup weather.
Here is a quick no-fuss version of Chicken Tortilla Soup that is both easy and nutritious and very low in fat.
Throw everything in the pot and simmer. I have my own canned chicken breast that I use which makes it even faster to make. Sometimes I'll throw in a hot pepper if I feel it needs some heat.



Chicken Tortilla Soup 

2 cups chicken broth
1 small onion sauteed in a little butter
4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 bag frozen corn
1 can Rotel tomatoes, original
1 can stewed tomatoes or petite diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drain and rinse
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper or cayenne
1/2 tsp. cumin optional
Mix everything together and simmer 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips,shredded cheese  and sour cream if desired.
Corn bread is very good with this as well. I'll share my recipe in a future post.
printablerecipe

2 comments:

  1. Yum... That chicken tortilla soup sounds incredible... Even though it's still fairly warm down here and WET, the soup would taste good. Thanks for the recipe.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete