Occasionally when I want to treat ourselves to something special, I make this unbelievably delicious cream filled coffee cake. This cake is a slice of heaven!
I've tried other coffee cakes but none have compared to this. A slice of this and a cup of fresh brewed coffee is one of life's simple pleasures.
I usually cut this recipe in half and just make one round pan unless I'm taking it somewhere. I recommend making it in two round pans vs a 9x13 especially if you're going to fill it. It's almost impossible to keep the cake in one piece with the 9x13. I tried it..... Disaster!
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
Crumb Nut Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.
3. Combine above ingredients along with the sour cream.
4. Spread batter in a greased 9x13 or 2 - 8" or 9" round pans. I recommend the round pans.
5. In a separate bowl mix ingredients for topping and sprinkle mixture over batter.
6. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes for 9x13 or 30 minutes for round pans or toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let cake cool off then run a knife around the edge of cake and invert onto a plate. Slice in half and spread filling between the layers. This a much easier if you make it in 2 round pans.
I'll include a few photos of how I split my cake and reassemble it.
Pick up the top layer which was the bottom of your cake, and place it back in the pan or on the plate you want to serve it on.
Spread on filling.
Now take the layer that has the crumb topping on it and pick up the whole plate and......
carefully flip it back on top of the filling. Replace any of the crumb topping that came off and brew yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy!!!
Creamy Coffee Cake Filling:
1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
1 cup marshmallow creme
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Cream shortening and marshmallow creme.
2. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and just enough milk to make the right consistency for spreading.