Friday, January 11, 2013

Baked Cabbage Wedges

Most people probably don't get too excited over cabbage but my husband and I happen to love it. You can make them on the grill or in the oven. These are loaded with bacon and buttery deliciousness. Yum!!
 This is a meal in itself for us, but they make a great side dish with any meat. Did I mention I love cabbage?


 I don't really go by any recipe so here's how I make them.

Tear off a large piece of foil and spray the center with cooking spray.
Cut one small cabbage into four wedges or if your cabbage is larger cut in six or eight. Remove the outer layers and the core. Place each wedge on a piece of foil and create a pouch.

Add a few pats of butter and thin sliced onion. You could also add a little garlic if you like.

Add some bacon bits and season with kosher or sea salt and pepper.

Add 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce to about 3/4 cup chicken broth. More or less broth depending on how many you are making. Spoon a few tablespoons of this mixture over the cabbage getting it in all the nooks and crannies.

Wrap each wedge up, place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 45 minutes to 1 hour or cabbage is tender.
Linking to:

12 comments:

  1. How different but they sound delicious. It's nice to see something simple to make but overall would also be very healthy.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I love cabbage, my husband doesn't - except in coleslaw. I'll give this a try and see if I can win him over. I mean, what can be bad about something with bacon?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great on the grill too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some slices of potato's would really make it good. Pearl.....did you look at Photographic Memories today? We'll see those falls and icefields on our Canadian Rockies trip. It's a sneak preview of what's in store on that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drawing a blank. Trying to figure out what or which Photographic Memories. Googled it and there are many websites.
    Looking forward to that trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pearl....I remembered that I got that Photographic Memories off of Betsy's blog Joyful Reflections. She has a friend Neal that has a blog with lots of good pictures on it and I wasn't finished looking at them and put it in my favorites so I could find them easier. His name might be on the blog when they were in Hocking Hills but not sure.I was able to click on his name and the blog came up.

      Delete
  6. YUM.... Looks delicious and simple. That WOULD be a meal for sure... I'm not too crazy about cooked cabbage -but I'd probably like it this way with added bacon, cheese, onions, etc.... Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy
    P.S. Sent you an email with some info about the flooding and rock slide...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to try the cabbage wedges. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to make this and put kielbasi pieces in it, lots more onion, and some potato

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want some now! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband cores a cabbage,stuffs the hole with butter and chopped fresh jalapeno. Wrap the whole thing in foil and put it in the smoker with brisket and ribs. Yum. Probably would work in the oven too.

    ReplyDelete