These muffins are so delicious and full of flavor, I think they would be perfect for breakfast on Christmas morning. Actually, they are good anytime but the taste of cranberry and orange just screams Christmas to me.
I would probably make these this day before and pop them in the microwave on Christmas morning because who has time to be baking on Christmas morning? Certainly not me!
You can substitute blueberries if you want blueberry muffins, and I have made it into a coffee cake as well.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp grated orange rind
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups cranberries fresh or frozen. If frozen do not thaw. May substitute blueberries.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange rind.
2. in small bowl combine eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
3. Gently stir the cranberries into the egg mixture.
4. Add the egg mixture all at once into the flour mixture stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened. About 15 stirs around the bowl. Do not over mix!
5. Fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full and top with streusel if desired.
6. Bake until the tops are lightly browned approximately 13-15 for mini muffins or 18-20 minutes for regular muffins.
7. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Streusel: I use a basic recipe of 6 Tbsp flour, 4 Tbsp white sugar, 2 Tbsp Crisco
If desired, omit the streusel and glaze the tops with a powered sugar glaze.