Friday, January 6, 2012

Bird Love

This weeks colder weather and snow brought a flurry of birds to the feeders. I don't care much for the cold weather but I certainly enjoy the show!
I could sit at the window all day and watch them enjoy the treats we put out for them but....I had to go to work so I only had a short time to watch them. They are very entertaining.

Here are some of the ones that blessed my day.

Carolina Wren

Cardinal

Junco

Goldfinch

Tufted Titmouse
This photo makes me laugh. He looks so mad!


I love the Carolina Wrens with their perky little tails and loud vocal voices. Male and Female are identical.


Carolina Wren and Purple Finch or is it a House Finch?


Of course the bossy Blue Jays have to hog all the peanut butter!!!


I always thought these were Purple Finches because according to my bird book House Finches didn't live in my area. But I'm thinking my book is wrong and these are House Finches. Can anyone clear this up for me?

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Does anyone know what this is?  Some type of Sparrow?


Female Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Cardinals are usually the first birds at the feeders in the morning and the last to leave at night. They are among my favorite of all the birds.

Hope you enjoyed seeing some of my birdies and have a wonderful day!

10 comments:

  1. These are beautiful pictures! I never see birds as colourul as this in my garden. The Tufted Titmouse is especially cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what the one is you asked about, but the one two photos below looks just like it except for the little bit of red. Like maybe the male and female of the same species? Beautiful photos!
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I too love watching the birds! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful. Wish we had a bit of snow. I leave you now to go fill my birdfeeders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What terrific pictures Pearl. I always have to stop and figure out the House finch from the purple finches too. It is a House Finch and the other mystery bird is the female House finch. The Purple Finches have little red around their tail feather I think.
    What kind of camera and lens do you use? Just beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for clearing that up for me Lona.
    I use a Nikon D40 camera and a Nikkor 55-200mm lens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bird pictures, Pearl.. I have so many similar ones.. That is a female House Finch (which you thought was a sparrow).... We have House Finches here ---which are similar to the one you are calling a Purple Finch...

    I'll post a bird post next Friday, 13th.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful birds.I could watch them forever if they visited my garden.Sadly we dont get many visiting birds, the occasional robin and magpies by the dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures Pearl. I do miss my birds when I'm down here in Fla. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you miss them too much I'll trade places with you for a while. Just let me know. Glad you made it safely.

    ReplyDelete