Friday, November 22, 2013

The Best Cranberry Salad


I'm reposting this recipe because next week is Thanksgiving and it's not too late to add this delicious Cranberry Salad to your menu. It is hands down the best ever!

I thought the recipe I always used for Cranberry Salad was already the best one ever, but recently I had this one with the addition of a cream cheese layer. Well.....I always thought cream cheese makes everything better and now I know for sure. This is over the top delicious!

First mix jello with boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Add cold water and orange juice concentrate. Orange concentrate was not in this recipe but I love the citrusy flavor it adds so I adapted the recipe to include it. You can leave it out and add 1/2 cup extra water if you like, but you really should include it!
 Let this set in the refrigerator until partially jelled.

Meanwhile chop your cranberries and apples and mix in your sugar and drained pineapple. And nuts if you desire. I like nuts in it but my family doesn't so I omit those.

Mix the jello and cranberry mixture together. Should look like this.

Pour half of your mixture into a 9x13 pan. Let set in fridge until firm.

Meanwhile beat cream cheese and powdered sugar together. I could eat this by the spoonful!

Spread on top of jello layer.


Put remaining jello on top and let set til firm.



Cranberry Salad

1 package cranberries chopped fine
1 15 oz can crushed pineapple drained. Save juice for cream cheese mixture.
3-4 apples peeled and chopped
6 oz orange juice concentrate
1 cup sugar
3 (3 oz) boxes strawberry jello or any red.
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional

1. Mix 3 boxes jello with 2 cups boiling water. Stir until dissolved.
2. Add 2 1/2 cups cold water and orange juice concentrate. Let this jel slightly.
3. Mix together chopped cranberries, drained pineapple, chopped apples, sugar and nuts if using.
4. When jello is partially jelled add cranberry mixture.
5. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a 9x13 pan . Refrigerate until completely set.
6. Beat softened cream cheese and powdered sugar together. Add a bit of pineapple juice if needed to make a spreadable consistency.
7. Spread cream cheese over set jello. Pour remaining cranberry mixture over the top. Let set until firm.
printablerecipe

Linking to
 Foodie Friday
 Mealtime Monday
StoneGable

14 comments:

  1. YUM..... With that cream cheese and powdered sugar in there, this would taste like a DESSERT.... I'd love it.

    Thanks.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Betsy, It could easily pass as a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pearl,
    I just love your Cranberry Salad. Hope you are having a great week and thanks for sharing.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this recipe! Was just remembering how my Granny would always make this salad at Thanksgiving & Christmas & asked if my Mom had it and she didn't...came here & found it! Looking forward to making it next week for Thanksgiving!

    Shawna Sharpe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it and hope you love it as much as I do.

      Delete
  5. Yum---I like it just as well this year!!!! It could be a dessert….
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I'm probably going to try out a new recipe today for chocolate pumpkin bundt cake. Thought it would be a nice addition to Thanksgiving. Thanks for visiting my blog and I look forward to reading some back posts of yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While waiting for the first layer to set up in the fridge, does the remaining jello mixture set up too? Just wondering if it will be too set to spread on top of the cream cheese layer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't see your question in time. I let mine sit on the counter so it doesn't set up as fast. Even if it sets up a little it will still be spreadable.

      Delete
  8. Looks fantastic! Can you tell how big a package of cranberries to use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic--on the Christmas menu! How big a package of cranberries should I use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you have to cook the cranberries?

    ReplyDelete