Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Breakfast Pie


Occasionally when my husband and I both have the day off, we enjoy making something a little more special than the ordinary breakfast fare.
Today we made this delicious breakfast pie. This is a recipe I've had for years but don't make very often, so we never get tired of it. I change up some of the ingredients to whatever I happen to have on hand.
 Today I had a little bit of bacon to use up but not enough, so I added some ham as well.

First, press thawed shredded potatoes into the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Drizzle with butter.

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

In the meantime combine your meat, cheese, onion and bell pepper in a bowl....



and in another bowl combine beaten eggs, milk, salt and pepper.

After your potatoe shell is baked, let cool for 10 minutes.....

then spoon your meat and cheese mixture into the shell.  Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top.
Bake at 350 25-30 minutes or eggs have set.

Let it cool 10 minutes before serving.

Breakfast Pie
3 cups frozen shredded potatoes
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup diced meat... bacon/ham/sausage
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1 Tbsp finely chopped onion
2 large eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas pepper
Thaw potatoes on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
 Press potatoes into bottom and up sides of ungreased 9 inch pie plate.
Drizzle with butter.
Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees or lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
Combine meat, cheese, peppers and onions. Spoon into the baked potatoe shell.
Combine beaten eggs,milk, salt and pepper. Stir well and pour over meat and cheese mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes or until set.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You can assemble this the night before, omitting the egg mixture and refrigerate.
 In the morning let set at room temperature for 30 minutes. Pour egg mixture over, then bake like normal.
printablerecipe
Linking to:
Mealtime Monday

5 comments:

  1. Oh --that looks so good. Made my mouth water!!!! I'd love it.... Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. I will try this and get back to you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. Made the Jello dessert today. Is very good. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank looks absolutely delicious. I'm not sure that I can buy frozen shredded potato over here but I'm definitely going to give your recipie a go. Jx

    ReplyDelete