Monday, June 24, 2013

Kingwood Center Part 2

 Last month I posted about the tulips that bloom at the Kingwood Center in Mansfield. While the tulips were the main attraction, there were so many other things in bloom I decided to put them on their own post.

Crabapples

The pretty Redbuds were in bloom all over the place.

 Magnolia



Espalier Tree
The word Espalier describes the artful (and time-consuming) tradition of training trees to grow flat against a wall, fence, or trellis. Fruit trees are especially well-suited for this type of training. This is a gala apple tree.

 I saw a photo on facebook where this tree is loaded with apples now. I love the look of these, but I can't imagine how much time that would take. Definitely more than I have!

My favorite photo of the day.

Japanese Primrose

Spanish Bluebells

 More Crabapples

 Ohio Red Buckeye

 I didn't know there was an Ohio Red Buckeye Tree. It's a cross between the Ohio Buckeye and a Red Horse Chestnut tree. I might have to try to find one of these.

Not sure what this is .....a Weeping Bald Cyprus??

Heading into the woodland garden we found.......
Hosta's....

Camass 'Blue Danube' and Red Barrenwort. I'm not familiar with Camass but I added a Red Barrenwort or 'Epimedium' to my shade garden this year. I love the foliage on that plant.

Anemones

Spring Snowflakes
Another plant I need  want.

Solomans Seal

Trillium


The resident Peacock....

and Peahen posed for photos.

There is also a cactus and succulent collection in the greenhouse. Now I'm not a fan of cacti but I do like succulents.


And I love these hypertufa planters.

I have made hypertufa planters (smaller ones) in the past and I might be ready to attempt a larger one like this. I would love to make one for miniature hostas or a fairy garden.

Now that I've experienced some of the beauty at the Kingwood Center I would love to go see it in other seasons as well. And if you are in the area and like hostas, make sure you visit the Wade and Gatton hosta farm in nearby Bellville.

No comments:

Post a Comment