Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pizza Sauce

I know the tomato season is nearing the end but I'm still getting some so I made pizza sauce. I must say this is the best pizza sauce I ever made!!
 Well, I confess it's the first pizza sauce I ever made but it turned out delicious. I got this recipe from a friend from church. Thanks Jean. This is actually half of the recipe and made 19 pints.


Pizza Sauce

7 quarts tomato juice
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 1/2 tsp onion salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp oregano
2 Tbsp basil
1 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp black pepper
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 of a # 10 can tomato paste or 6 cups
Heat juice. Add seasonings oil and paste. Bring to a slow boil. Fill hot jars and cold pack for 15 min. in pint jars.

printable recipe

2 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely wonderful. What method(s) did you use to turn the tomatoes into tomato sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use tomato juice. I cut out the core and quarter them,bring to a boil, simmer to soften then run through a food strainer. A paste tomato like Roma or I use a type called Amish Paste works best.
    Another method I used this year was to freeze my tomato's whole with the core removed. I let them thaw and all that watery liquid drained right out of them. I drained the liquid from the tomato's (I ended up using some of the liquid because it was really thick) then I brought the tomato's to a boil and ran through the strainer. This was much thicker than juice normally is. More like tomato sauce. You might not need to add all the tomato paste the recipe calls for if you use this method. I hope this answers your question.

    ReplyDelete