Monday, April 15, 2013

What's blooming?

The 15th of every month is Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, a day to share what's blooming in your garden with other bloggers. This was created by Carol of May Dreams Gardens. Be sure to stop by her blog and see what's blooming in other gardens.
Spring is very late and slow coming this year so blooms here are pretty scarce yet. Here's a few of mine.


Daffodils are in full bloom right now. Of course I had to wait until two severe thunderstorms, hail, and several inches of rain rolled through before I took the picture. I figured they would look better that way!!  Sorry...that's just how I roll.  Hence, the droopy daffodils:(

Pulmonaria, I think this is Majeste. These do great in my shade gardens.

Raspberry Splash


Hyacinth


Star Magnolia

These are so pretty but I wish they would last longer.

Grecian Windflower


Hellebore


The Crocuses are done blooming but I'll include it here since they weren't blooming in time for last months bloom day.

 Since spring is unusually late this year or maybe it's that spring was so early last year, I thought I would show a few photos of some of my plants taken on this date or earlier last year. The difference is amazing!

Paul's Glory Hosta last year.

Paul's Glory today.


Solomons Seal last year.....

and this year.

Forget-Me-Nots

Isn't that crazy? What a difference.

Bleeding Hearts

And one more......
One of my favorites....Virginia Bluebells last year.....

and today.

Hope you are having a great spring and Happy Gardening!

Linking to: May Dreams Gardens

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful blooms!
    I especially like the Magnolia!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like most of the blogposts are having the same blooms because they are mostly from temperate countries, i wish there are tropical countries to post too. It seems you have the most blooms and sprouts now among the early linkers. I don't see forget-me-nots posted often, i love it so much, even if i've just seen it in person only once in Sweden. They are so cute. Here in the tropics we only have few blues and dark violets, but we have what they call "warm colors" a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely blooms in your gardens. Your daffodils are dainty and pretty. My garden flowers like yours is very slow in appearing this year. Love your Magnolia. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blooms. You are so far ahead of anything here. I keep wondering if things are really going to get started or not.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your great post. The 'last year and this year' shots really tell the tale. Same thing here in Nova Scotia... slow spring, especially compared with last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is late here too. I like though! At least there should be no worries of a late frost or freeze! Your star magnolia is gorgeous!!! I had one once upon a time but it died:(

    On the bulbs I used to bury them in chicken wire. I am not sure if it helped keep varmints from eating the bulbs but it made me feel better. After a while though I just gave up that process as it was too detailed for me. I'd try it though or some sharp grit like crush run around your bulbs. Happy spring to you in your beautiful garden. Those forget me nots really rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blooms. I found you thru bloom day. Love the star magnolia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Magnolia is so lovely. Mine has never bloomed in all the years I have had it. There was a lot of difference from the early hot spring we had last year. More normal for Ohio this year I think. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are at the point where we were a couple of weeks ago. Once some warmer weather got here, our stuff started growing BIGTIME. Yours will do the same... our Hosta is really growing now!

    Your hyacinths looks great --compared to what ours looked like. Ours bloomed too early and the COLD got to them... Lots of brown spots on them...

    I love that little magnolia... Does it smell good like a regular magnolia??? I love smelling those things.

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. How you garden honors spring. Great photography.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting star magnolia! I have a southern magnolia, and the two could hardly look more different - yet both are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourites are the star magnolia, white bleeding hearts and masses of blue forget me nots. Not common flowers in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spring has been painfully slow to arrive and once it got her the rain and temperature drops where a problem, but looking at your beautiful blooms none of that is apparent.

    ReplyDelete