Monday, April 29, 2013

Oh, how I love spring!

It's hard to believe that it's the end of April already. Between persistant cold weather and rain a few nice days appear here and there.  I could probably count on one hand the actual spring-like days we have had. Saturday was one of them and of course I had to work but I got up early and took my cup of coffee and camera and took a stroll through the garden to see what is blooming.

Virginia Bluebells
Who doesn't love these? I love blue flowers anyway and these are one of my favorites. These have been a very slow grower for me but I think my clump is finally big enough to split. I'll do that when they are done blooming and just before they go dormant for the summer. 

Primroses


At one time I wasn't that fond of Daffodils but I have so much trouble with critters eating the tulip bulbs I start planting more Daffodils. Now I can't imagine a garden without them!

Ziva Paperwhites

Fern Leaf Bleeding Heart
 Dicentra formosa

These are supposed to bloom all summer unlike......

 Dicentra spectabilis which go completely dormant by mid-summer.

The few tulips I have are just opening. This is Angelique and has surprisingly returned for the second year. I rarely have tulips return two years in a row. I have these planted right up against the house and I guess the squirrels and chipmunks haven't found them there.

Tulip 'Claudia'
These were planted last fall and this clump came up and the other one just a few feet away didn't. Getting very annoyed angry at those critters!

Grape Hyacinths and  Periwinkle 'Vinca minor'.

Wood Anemone

Rue Anemone

Pulmonaria 'Majeste'
Despite their unfortunate common name Lungworts, they are some of the most showy and dependable spring bloomers. Plants should be cut back hard after blooming to rejuvenate the leaves, which will then remain attractive all season.


Lamium 'Red Nancy'
I like this for a ground cover. This might be considered evasive for some but it's well behaved for me. It's very easy to remove where I don't want it.


I showed my Star Magnolia on gardeners bloom day just when it was starting to bloom but I have to show it again in full bloom. It bloomed more profusely this year than it ever has. We had a huge maple tree cut down last year that was keeping this Magnolia in mostly shade and I think it's benefiting from the additional sun.

It looks like we might actually have a few days in a row of spring-like weather this week. I hope to get some mulching done.....my least favorite gardening task! It takes me forever because I always find something else I'd rather be doing.
Have a great week!

14 comments:

  1. I was in Ohio on Saturday and it was an amazingly beautiful day!! Perfect weather! Everything looks so fresh after the rains and your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to go to work! I was hoping to get to Lancaster this spring to see my cousin but its not working out:(

      Delete
  2. Oh, what truly beautiful blooms you have in your garden. I especially love your gorgeous Star Magnolia, I have one but it is still in the bud stage.. I can hardly wait for it to bloom. Have a lovely week. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy.... It was extra pretty this year. Now I would like one of the pink ones too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Pearl, Last year, a friend gave me a Bleeding Heart --and it has started to bloom now. I am so excited. She also gave me a Primrose --but it is just now starting to grow.

    We have trouble also with critters digging up the Tulip bulbs.. SO frustrating... But--I like Tulips even better than Daffodils. At least we have several varieties of Daffs...

    That Lamium (Red Nancy) is pretty. I don't think I've ever seen that. So far, the Periwinkle (Vinca Minor) does really well for us... It can be invasive also--but so far it is behaving for us.

    Thanks for sharing your garden.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like tulips better too but I feel like its a waste of money to buy too many of them. I have that Latium in white too. It's just not as showy as the pink or red.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Spring Blooms you have today! We are moving into the next phase being mid spring although, with the cool temps in the air today, it feels more like the beginning of Spring for us here in GA...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skeeter. Your blooms are probably way ahead of ours!

      Delete
  5. Hi Pearl, great blog post again! Beautiful flowers,I'm sure your gardens are gorgeous! Glad for the tip about cutting back Lungwort,I will definitely do that. good to meet you at our garage sale:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marlene, it was nice meeting you and Mary too! Looking forward to finding spots for my new plants:) I just love your woodland setting. I have about equal sun and shade but shade gardens are my passion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Je découvre votre blog, de très belles fleurs dans votre jardin. Bonne soirée.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi from West Texas! I have a wildflower that has come up in our backyard this year...we have never had one before. When I searched the Internet, I came across a photo of YOUR EXACT FLOWER THAT I HAVE! None of my Master Gardner friends could even identify this one! You call it a 'Bluestar Amsonia" but on the Net when I put that name in the flowers that come up are NOT the same ones as yours, so I am confused. Thanks for any input.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see it on this post but I do have it pictured somewhere. The lady that gave it to me told me that it is Amsonia. I Need to leave for work so I don't have time to look it up right now but check back and I'll try to find out.

      Delete
    2. I still think it is Amsonia. Maybe Amsonia Illustris which is a bluestar. I lol have to look at it closer when it blooms again.

      Delete