Friday, July 20, 2012

Hypertufa Bowl


Last week I made a hypertufa planter using an old fruit basket as my mold. In this post I'll show another way to make them. For more information and instructions on making the mix see that post.
I'm not a good judge when it comes to the amounts of cement, peat moss etc. needed for each planter so I just make sure I have plenty and use the leftovers to create a smaller container or a leaf cast.
This time I way over guessed what I needed and still had a lot left.
 I quickly grabbed an enamel pan and piece of plastic and made a bowl.

You have the option of making it on the inside for a smaller bowl, but I had so much mix leftover I opted to make a larger bowl and made it on the outside.

I put my plastic over the bowl.....

and start covering my bowl with the mix.


Press and pat and check the thickness with a marked dowel keeping the thickness around 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches. Make sure you keep the top as flat and level as possible because that will be the bottom of your bowl.




I experimented pressing some Fern Fronds into the completed bowl for a textured look.
Cover with plastic and let it dry 36-48 hours.

After it's dried the recommended time, remove the bowl and plastic very carefully. They are very fragile at this point. I broke the first one I ever made because I was so anxious to see it, I removed it from the mold too soon.

I love the look the Fern Fronds add to the bowl.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. Now I will let this cure until next spring. It's good to mist them occasionally.

This is another option to use up your leftover mix. Make a leaf casting using a large leaf such as an elephant ear, rhubarb or hosta leaf. I love when rain water collects in them but hypertufa is porous so it doesn't hold water long. I spray painted this one which helps hold the water, but a sealer of some sort would probably work better.
Linking to Stonegable

11 comments:

  1. You are just so talented..... I could never do something like that.... My gifts do not lie in that area!!! BUT--I certainly enjoyed reading how you did it... GORGEOUS...

    Have a great weekend. Hope you get rain.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, We did get almost an inch in the last two days. We need a lot more but it's a start. I wanted to go out and dance in it:)

      Delete
  2. Pearl, I have wanted to make a hypertufa for 2 years! Thanks so much for the great tutorial!!!! I will be making this for sure!
    Please join me for my weekly linky party, TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS. It would be such a welcomed addition. Linky goes live Wednesday evening at 8:00.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I liked both pages of instructions. Might have to try this next year.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to try this for some time now. Since Vacation Bible School is over, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try my hand at this. I love the raw look of them. Thanks so much for the tutorial, you did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wanted to do this for while! I love your fern impressions in your bowl and your casting of the leaf is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have pinned several tutes on these planters. Just love the look- yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning pieces. I love the look and must try this at some point. Rustic yet refined. excellent. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH, this is gorgeous! I never heard of "hypertufa" before but lOVE this! Thanks for the tutorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete