Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Honeybun Cake


Recently I was at a brunch and was asked to bring something I had never made before. So I went to my pinterest breakfast board (love pinterest) and found this coffee cake I had pinned from tasty kitchen.

With the glaze on top, it did taste like a honeybun but much better.  Some of the glaze seeps down into the top layer making it moist and yummy. It is amazing served warm, right out of the oven with a cup of coffee. I love the glazy-cinnamon-sugary topping on this cake. It's very easy too since it starts with a boxed mix.

 Honeybun Cake
Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix (18.25 ounce)
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
6 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. By hand, blend the cake mix,eggs, sour cream, and oil until well-incorporated. It's okay if there are some lumps. Set aside
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon until well-blended. Set aside.
4. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 9x13 pan spreading the batter out into a thin even layer. Add half of the swirl mixture on the batter, covering the entire layer. Pour the rest of the batter on top and spread until even. Top with the rest of the swirl mixture. With a knife swirl the batter.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.  I bake a lot of my coffee cakes in two round pans and they usually require a little less time to bake.
6.While the cake is baking, make the glaze. In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until glaze is desired consistency. Note: I always made my glaze using powdered sugar, hot water, and vanilla. Plus I add in a pat or two of very soft butter. The butter makes the glaze taste so much better. If you use my method, it might take a little less water than when using milk. So start out with less and add more as needed.
7. When the cake comes out of the oven immediately pour the glaze onto the hot cake. You might have to tilt the cake to spread it evenly. Let the cake sit for a few minutes until the glaze is set. This is best served while still warm.
printablerecipe

Linking to: Foodie Friday  Diana Rambles  Mealtime Monday  StoneGable  Clever Chicken
Countrified Hicks

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pearl, That cake does look wonderful... Seeing the picture made me hungry... Seems better than this yogurt and banana I'm eating for breakfast... ha

    Hope your weather is okay up there. We got 2 inches of snow yesterday--but it's supposed to warm up this weekend.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a banana for breakfast too. I only make cakes like this if I have someone to share it with. I sure don't need all the calories!
      We had 3-4 inches but most of it melted already. I thought today was supposed to be sunny but it's snowing again:(

      Delete
  2. This is my kind of baking. I love anything that starts with a box mix. I call it "doctor the box" recipes. This is a keeper recipes, I'll be making this one soon! Thanks for sharing the sweetness at ON THE MENU MONDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Yum! Yum! I wish I had a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this looks delicious. I would love for you to come and share it on my weekly link up that just went live. http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2013/03/mondays-with-countrified-hicks-6.html

    Feel free to link up to 3 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well yum! It looks really good this early morning before I've had my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this will be a good treat for a cold morning..........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete