Sunday, August 7, 2011

Breakfast Hash Brown Casserole


My husband and I love making breakfast whenever we both happen to have the same day off. I enjoy it more than going out to eat but that may be because I work in a restaurant.
Anyway, sometimes I get tired of all the eggy breakfast casseroles so I made this. I cut this out of a magazine years ago and stuck in my recipe box and finally decided to try it. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long because it is really good!

Breakfast Hash Brown Casserole

2 lb. ground sausage. I prefer a sausage with only salt and pepper added. If you like a spicer sausage I'm sure that's fine too.
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (10 3/4-oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup French onion dip
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green or red peppers or some of each
Salt and pepper to taste
1 30-oz. bag frozen hash brown shredded potatoes, thawed
Cook the sausage until browned. Drain well.
In a large bowl combine the chicken soup, sour cream,French onion dip, cheese, onion,peppers, salt and pepper. Fold in thawed hash browns. Mix well. Spread 1/2 of the hash brown mixture in a 9"x13" greased baking dish. Spread 1/2 of the sausage over the hash browns. Repeat layering second 1/2 hash brown mixture and the reat of the sausage on top. Bake at 350 for about one hour or golden brown.
Opt...Top with additional shredded cheese before serving if desired.

2 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic. I'll have to make that.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum--that sounds delicious!!!! I have a recipe of a hash brown casserole --but it's different... Yours sounds even better. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete